10. Listening Posts

 According to Dictionary.com, a listening post is "any concealed position maintained to obtain information." The term listening post originates from a military term used that described where one would get information about the enemy. As someone who is hella nosey, I stay think it's fair to say I engage in multiple listening posts. 

Listening Posts & Headphones

One of my favorite places to get information on people is my job. My workplace environment would typically be considered "toxic," but I love all the people I work with for that reason. The type of news I get from work isn't groundbreaking or important in retrospect. I did get told a funny story about one of the employees stealing $900 worth of ribeye. He was stopped. Another employee hit him in the head with a shovel and brought it back. The security cameras tell the entire story, as well. Work is one of the few places I get information about, mostly, people I don't know. Nonetheless, entertaining.

Another place I would consider a listening post of mine would be social media. This would have to be my largest listening post. Lots of people use social media to announce everything they and their moms are doing. I can talk crap because I am the type of person that posts a lot on social media. On social media, I'm in multiple group chats and on my other account, I interact with lots of people who aren't from Arkansas. So, sometimes I hear local news from other states. This morning, a girl from Utah messaged me to tell me that Harry Styles was going to be in Marvel's Eternals. I, also, found out a girl I went to school with was pregnant, this morning.

Social Media: Make It Part of Your Marketing Toolbox - By Chris Carroll -  Golden

To conclude, listening posts are all around us. There is not much we can do to avoid them. They can be used against an enemy or just to have something interesting to talk about. People get news from so many different places, it's interesting to hear what other people's listening posts are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11. Civics

15. Entertainment & Pop Culture

17. Opinion (International)